Turning on your LG TV only to be met with a black screen but still hearing the sound is a common issue that can leave you scratching your head.
This, however, does not call for panic, as the issue can be resolved quickly in many cases.
In this guide, I’ll briefly discuss why this issue occurs and provide solutions to help you get your LG TV up and running in no time.
Why is My LG TV Showing A Black Screen With Sound?
When you have an LG TV black screen with sound, the most likely cause is a faulty HDMI connection, damaged hardware component, or outdated firmware.
Several factors can cause your LG TV sound, but no picture issues.
I’ll discuss some of them below;
Faulty HDMI and other connections
This issue is bound to occur if there is a problem with the HDMI connection, be it the cord or port.
If the cables are loose or placed in the wrong port, your LG TV screen can go black.
Similarly, issues with the power cable and other connections to the TV can cause your LG TV to go black with sound.
Damaged hardware component
The mainboard or backlight is usually the most common culprit in this case.
If you experience LG TV black screen issues but with sound, it might be due to a problem with a hardware component.
Outdated LG TV firmware
An outdated software can cause several problems to your TV, including making your LG TV’s screen black.
Insufficient power supply
If your TV’s power supply fluctuates or has been disrupted, you will likely experience this issue.
Also, damaged or weak power cables will cause this problem.
How to Fix LG TV Black screen with sound
Method 1: Power Cycle LG TV
A power cycle takes just a few minutes but can fix the LG TV’s black screen with sound issues.
Many users overlook this and jump to other fixes when, in many cases, this is all the fix you need.
Without saying too much, here is how to carry out a power cycle on your LG TV;
- Turn off the TV and unplug the power cable from the wall socket
- Press down the TV’s power button for up to 30 seconds to drain residual power from the TV’s capacitors
- Leave your TV idle for a few minutes
- Plug the power cable back into the socket and turn on your TV.
Method 2: Inspect HDMI Connections
The HDMI cable is responsible for displaying pictures on the screen when connected to an external streaming device, so a loose or faulty HDMI connection could be why you are facing an LG TV black screen with sound issues.
To troubleshoot this,
- Disconnect and plug the HDMI cables again to the port.
- Try blowing off dirt and dust from the HDMI ports.
- Test the HDMI cable on other ports to see if the problem is from just one HDMI port.
- Check for physical damages on the cables and replace them if any
- Ensure that your HDMI cables are of high quality and the recommended ones.
Method 3: Inspect power cables and connections
Loosely connected or faulty power cables could be why your LG TV shows a black screen with sound.
If the power cables are not securely connected or are damaged, you might experience this issue.
When your TV is not plugged directly into the wall, your power surge protector should be of good quality to ensure the power supply to the TV is solid and steady.
With this, black screens with sound issues can be avoided or fixed.
Method 4: Check the Backlight
I won’t advise you to fix the backlight if it is faulty because a little mistake can lead to more serious damages that will be expensive to fix.
The backlight illuminates the TV’s display, so any problem with the component means a black screen, and this can appear with or without sound.
You might not be aware the problem is from the backlight, but there are simple tricks to check;
- First, make your room dark by turning off the lights and shutting windows.
- Turn on your TV in the darkroom
- Get a flashlight, and you can use that on your mobile phone.
- Stay about 5 cm from the TV and point the flashlight toward the screen
- Move the flashlight through different corners of the screen to see if there are some dim images on the screen
- If you notice these dim images, then the backlight is the issue.
- If you are not experienced in fixing electronic components, please get a professional to fix it ASAP.
- If your LG TV’s warranty is still running, you can contact LG Support to replace it at no cost.
Method 5. Clear Cache
Cache files get corrupted or cause memory issues, leading to LG TV’s black screen with sound.
The accumulated files and data can fill your memory if you haven’t cleared your LG TV cache memory in a while.
When you have insufficient memory, your screen could go black while the sound is playing.
Also, if the items in the cache memory get corrupted, it might cause an issue.
Here’s how to clear the LG TV cache
- Go to Settings > Storage
- Select Clear cache and confirm the action.
You can check our guide to find other methods to clear the cache on LG Smart TV.
Method 6: Update LG TV Firmware
Updating your LG TV firmware can fix numerous issues, but users ignore this.
When you have a black screen, you can update your TV’s firmware using a third-party device or the Voice guidance feature available in some LG TV models.
To update your LG TV with USB, follow these procedures;
- Go to the LG TV website, search for your model, and download the latest software update.
- After downloading the new software to your device, transfer it to the USB Drive.
- Plug the USB Drive into your LG TV
- Using your remote, go to Software Updates
- Choose Settings>Update Now
- The black screen on the LG TV may disappear after doing this.
Method 7: Conduct a Factory Reset
LG TV black screen with sound issues might require a reset on your TV if the above steps do not work.
To conduct a factory reset on LG TV, follow the steps below;
- Tap on the Settings button on your remote to access All Settings.
- Select the General option located at the bottom of your screen
- Please scroll down to the Reset to Initial Settings option and select it
- Tap Ok. This action will turn off your TV and put it on again
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your TV again, as all previous settings have been removed, but hopefully, the black screen with the sound issue has been resolved.
Method 8: Contact LG Support
If the methods above do not work, contact LG support for further assistance.
The problem could be a more technical issue they could assist you with, or they’d recommend professional repair.
Method 9: Request Professional Repair
You might be in this situation due to faulty hardware components in your LG TV.
Such as the backlight or motherboard.
If this is the case, or you can’t decipher where the problem is coming from, you might need an expert to work on your TV.
You can request a repair from LG or contact an independent technician to handle it. If your TV is still under warranty, getting LG is the best solution.
Fixing smart TVs might be a bit high, but the good thing is that if your TV is still under warranty, you can get it fixed at no cost!
Technology hiccups are everyday experiences, and you should not panic too much when they occur.
A black screen with sound is one of the problems LG TV users face and is usually caused by faulty connections, outdated software, or damaged hardware components, as already discussed.
The good thing is that the tips I’ve provided here can help you fix it.